Sunday, December 27, 2015

Muses and Amused at The Getty Museum


Is it unconventional to go to a museum on Christmas Eve? On a day that should be spent home with family, friends and feasting, Jenn and I did the opposite. We made the trip to The Getty to get lost in our own world for a bit.


I was easily blown away by the modern architecture. The minute we left the parking garage, the elevator doors opened and we were faced with a white tiled wall. It caught me off guard but in a good way. I feel like a typical response to seeing a wall is to feel barricaded or simply stopped. "Hey, there's a wall, find another way around!" Something about that particular wall (which led to the tram loading station) peaked my curiosity. It wasn't exactly welcoming, but it was stylistically inviting. It was as if the elevator transported me into a new world. Am I looking too much into some plain wall? Maybe, but it made that much of an impact on me, so I'm hoping there were actual sentiments behind it.


Blazer: H&M | Button-up, boyfriend jeans, loafers: Gap | Handbag: Zara

Besides the wall, the museum itself is stunning. Extremely minimal, open, and bright. Pretty much #goals. Jenn and I actually didn't take in much of the art because we were so excited about the space instead. We did take a moment to get our art on at the sketching station, where we were given art tools to recreate some of the classic paintings showcased at the museum. I forgot to take a picture of our finished sketches but mine basically looks like a lion going to Coachella with a flower crown and unkempt manbun. Dare I say I am now a contemporary artist?

There was an exhibit I was particularly excited about seeing, The Edible Monument: The Art of Food for Festivals. That was, until I saw that there were actually no art made of food but instead old drawings of kitchenware, buffet tablescape, and sugar sculptures. Worse, a part of me hoped it'd be like Costco and that there'd be food samples you were supposed to eat that paired along the with exhibits to get an enhanced experience. I was, of course, so wrong. The gift shop was great though?

I actually have a lot more to say about the museum, but I don't think words can compare. If you're ever in LA, take a day to see it yourself. The outdoor garden is a stunner and a wonderful place to sit back and people watch. The view speaks for itself. 

Some shots I captured with my iPhone:





Just like our quick trip to the museum, the holidays are over too. The wait for Christmas felt so long since advertisements started in October, but it went by so quickly. I'm not sure I fully comprehend that another year has finished. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll start celebrating Christmas in August, so I'll only be waiting 8 months instead of 12. Kidding, let's not do that people. Honestly, I was losing momentum mid-November already.

Matching Drake Hotline Bling sweaters because we're the housemates you'll never be


Besides the Getty with Jenn, Christmas Eve I met a new friend and napped Christmas day with my boyfriend. It sounds boring but it was exactly what I wanted. I got to spend it with the two people that shaped the latter half of my year and I hope I get a few more Christmases in with them before life runs its course again.


No comments:

Post a Comment