Friday, October 7, 2016

Current Favorites + #FlirtyFallFlatlay

Denim Shirt: Old Navy | Bralette (similar): Aerie | Necklace: H&M | Wool Hat (similar): Nordstrom

You'd think after a year of living in Los Angeles, I'd come to terms with the fact that fall doesn't officially start until end of October. Nope. The second September came around, I was forcing myself to subside the overwhelming heatstroke while I proudly walked around in knit sweaters and ankle booties.

Eventually, I got sick of my righteous parade and accepted that Los Angeles needed some time. It was as far in denial as I was and we're all going through some transitional period in our lives, right? So I reined in my need for cloudy weather and crunchy leaves and started with pulling back in the wardrobe department. Today, I teamed up with Adore Me, a subscription lingerie brand, to bring you a typical LA "fall" outfit for me in the form of a #FlirtyFallFlatlay (pants not pictured but most definitely worn).

I know. Me and lingerie? What?

Not as if you needed the clarity, but I'm just going to go ahead and put it out there that I'm not much of a lingerie person. I like comfort and practicality which typically means a plain t-shirt bra. So when I was first approached by Adore Me, I was pretty hesitant. I've still never tried their product or subscription service, but they do offer bras, sleepwear, and even activewear. It's always nice to know there are options out there! You can stay up-to-date on their newest product releases through their Pinterest so when you see something you'd really like to try, you can sign up and shop then.

For the campaign, I chose a lacy bralette to feature in my flatlay. This particular one from Aerie has a longer hem line that'd work great for a peek-a-boo effect with crop tops. I paired mine with a classic denim button-up so the sweetheart neckline of the bralette can subtly show through.

So that's a typical fall outfit for me! Since I'm still "taking it easy" I've been indulging in some Netflix binging, closet refreshing, and even a little reading! Here's some of my current favorites:


Billy got this San Francisco candle by 42 Pressed from Anthropologie for us when we visited the Bay last month. He knows I occasionally get homesick and wanted to bring a piece of home back with us *cue aww's*. I usually light this candle on calmer nights when we're spending the night in and his turn table music plays in the background. It burns beautifully with a subtle scent that never fails to remind me of a rainy Union Square day.


Those who know me know that I hate pink. I do not like wearing pink or own anything pink. Yet here I am with a blush pink bomber jacket. What happened? This lightweight Zara bomber kind of just stole my heart the minute I saw it. Nude blush tones have been catching my eye more lately, which I'm sure is just an effect of overexposure to the color, but I guess I'm caving. This jacket has been so easy to wear over my usual black or white outfits that I might just reconsider the color as a neutral. You know, like how leopard print and chambray are neutrals?


I wasn't quite sure where Mindy was going with this book when I initially started reading it a year ago. Yes, a whole year to read a 223 page book. When I read Mindy's first book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns), I fell in love with her humor and undeniable relatability. So obviously, I had to get her second book and give it a try too. It was hard for me to continue reading this at times because the newness of her storytelling was absent and, of course, it's not a plot driven novel. This time, it felt more like catching up with an old friend, so I only really picked up the book whenever I felt like having company without actually having to hang out with people. Does that sound a little sad? I feel like it does but honestly don't give me any pity, that's just how my introverted self works.

The book didn't make me laugh out loud as much as the first, and at times it felt repetitive, but the last few chapters reminded me why I loved reading Mindy's words so much in the first place. Behind a funny and sometimes insecure Mindy is an outspoken intellectual woman who's ultimately human. I had no idea she spoke at Harvard's Law School commencement but that's what one her last chapters was about and her eloquence was more apparent than ever. Not going to lie, it felt like a Legally Blonde moment as I was reading through and the #feels were happening.

Jeans: Gap | Wedges: Forever 21

As I repeatedly scolded myself for having too many shoes, I happily handed over my credit card to the teen cashier at Forever 21 who was probably judging me for clearly showing my internal dialogue on my face. She was also probably judging me because I had been rummaging through the sale section for at least 20 minutes to find the above pair of wedges in my size. Something you don't need to know about me: sales are my weakness. I know I don't actually need anything in the sale section. I know the purpose of a sale section is to just make you spend more money on things you weren't planning to buy, but it was cheap so why not. WHY NOT THROW MORE MONEY THEIR WAY?!

All that remorse goes out the window when I put these soft suede babies on though. Albeit, Forever 21 is probably not the best place to buy shoes (what happened to quality over quantity, Bella?) but I've actually had some great experiences with their flats. I've realized my closet has been overrun with basics and I needed to start incorporating dressier pieces so I won't just look like I'm wearing t-shirts and jeans all the time. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge and wear slimming stilettos all the time so these wedges were the next step.


My last favorite is a documentary. When I say I love fashion, I particularly enjoy the nuances that come with high fashion. Learning about fashion houses history, craftsmanship, etc. So when Netflix (bless their computer generated algorithm hearts) recommended me "The First Monday in May" I sat my butt on the couch and prepared for 90 mins of stunning couture. Oh and an abundance of Anna Wintour appearances.

The documentary focused around the 2015 Met Gala and the theme "China: Through the Looking Glass." I was a little disappointed there wasn't more focus on the garments themselves but moreso on the drama of its production. The cinematography also didn't leave me awestruck, but there were some beautiful shots that snuck in. I was relieved to know that it wasn't a complete whitewashing of Chinese culture and that there were Asians (and non-Asians) on the board who actively voiced their questions and concerns whenever Chinese culture felt like it was becoming misconstrued or stereotyped. Although I'll never know the tension behind closed doors, the end result was an absolutely beautiful exhibit. If you enjoy learning the behind-the-scenes of fashion, this is a good documentary to consider.

---

Hope you enjoyed the glimpse of my very free days lately! Could you tell by how lengthy it was? I'm cutting myself some slack since it's October (aka birthday month), but I'm definitely on the hunt to move forward (forward, always *crey Luke Cage reference*). I wanted to go in-depth with my last blog about changing career paths, but I think it's something I'm still figuring out too.

P.S. I also started revamping my Pinterest due to my free time, so if you love pinning check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment