Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Perfect Shade


You guys… there were so many potential puns for this post. Throwing shade, Fifty Shades, will the real Slim Shady please stand up?! But trust me, this title is truly… fitting.

Finding the perfect shade is always a trial and error process. Sometimes the frames are too large or too small, and let’s not get started on the nose bridge problem. Fit is key. Oh, did you think I was talking about makeup foundations? While finding the exact match for a foundation is a feat within itself, for me finding the right pair of sunglasses has proven to be equally challenging.

During my second move in LA, I tossed out my scratched up $20 Urban Outfitters shades and have been thinking about investing in an “everyday” pair of sunglasses that I could confidently wear with any outfit ever since. While I’d love to get my hands on a gorgeous pair of Dior shades, I’m not about to shell out $300+ on a pretty piece of metal and plastic. I’d honestly be too scared to wear them out of fear of any damage. Also, who am I kidding? Where would I find the money in the first place?

On the other hand, I don’t really want to go back to getting a flimsy $10 pair from Forever 21. After all, you can’t feel too good about buying a pair when you see a tangled pile of shattered sunglasses on the floor with missing lenses (hands up if it has happened at every Forever 21 location you’ve been to). Since I’m continuing my goal to invest in quality pieces for my wardrobe, I’m considering Warby Parker sunglasses and their much more reasonable $95 price point.


I’m gonna be that person and brag that I’ve been a fan of Warby Parker since its early inception. I’m a huge advocate of the company and their mission, despite having 20/20 vision and only wishing I could rock a pair of their handsome specs. I’ve recommended the brand to my friends in the past and even convinced my boyfriend to purchase a pair to live vicariously through him. While I’ve always admired their sunglasses too, I admit that I never mustered up the money to own a pair, but that might be changing very soon.

When Warby Parker reached out to me to share the news about their new Spring 2017 sunglasses collection that’s launching today, I was rightfully overjoyed because: 1) as aforementioned, I love them and 2) I got to get the inside scoop on their latest styles!


Their Spring 2017 sunglasses collection is all about refreshing their classic silhouettes. Some frames got the “bigger and better” treatment while others got a makeover in the lens department. I’m personally a sucker for tortoise frames, so the Aubrey and Pearl are my favorites from the release.


Aubrey - $95

Pearl - $95



Luckily for me, I’m just a short drive away from the Warby Parker in Abbot Kinney. After getting a sneak peek of the new collection, I was excited to visit the store and take a look around. I’ve loved trying on all the styles and imagining how they’d compliment my outfits. I’m not great at wearing jewelry except for the occasional necklace (I always feel weighed down with jewelry on), so my favorite way to accessorize is with a statement pair of sunnies. I think they could really polish up a look or give it the edge it needs.

Remember when I mentioned perfect fit? Well, if you don’t want to make the trek to the nearest store or if there’s none where you live, Warby Parker has a cool “try before you buy” option which lets you choose 5 sample frames to try at home before making your purchase. I know I sound extremely sales-y right now, but it’s honestly so important to be able to see the glasses on your face instead of picturing it in your mind or having a computer generated image (ugh, like the ones where they show you what your hair color would be like). Because when you find the perfect pair of jeans, shoes—or in this case—sunglasses, you just know. It’s like an instant feeling of confidence and bliss. And it feels damn good.

If you’re in the market to up your eyewear game but don’t have the budget for the high-end brands, definitely give Warby Parker a look (ha!). I’ve also been eyeing (ha again!) some pairs from Illestiva and Crap Eyewear. Both brands I discovered through one of my favorite YouTubers, Estee Lalonde. She has an amazing sunglasses collection, and I am still wishing and waiting for her to film a sunglasses collection video.

"Borrowed from the Boys" - How to get the look: steal your boyfriend's sunglasses until you get a pair of your own. No really.

Ok, let’s take a break from the stunna shades (hello early 2000s, it’s time to take me back) and just talk. This is my fourth or fifth time strolling around Abbot Kinney and it’s still one of my favorite places to recommend to friends. The stores are interesting and everyone seems to be on the same page in terms of fashion and food. I always come home with some sort of inspiration for my wardrobe. Not to mention, the delicious Salt n Straw is just a ridiculously long line away.

I decided to wear something with a more masculine silhouette without looking too preppy since I'd be checking out glasses. I tried on a few outfits before deciding on pairing my favorite boxy denim button-up with loose trousers and wide strapped sandals. I definitely would've opted for a loafer instead, but my previous patent pair was also thrown out during my move. After checking out the store, I thought taking pictures at the heart wall would be a fun juxtaposition for an otherwise serious outfit. There’s also no shortage of wall art in Venice, so your next photo op might literally be around the corner.


It feels so good to catch up again and I’m happy to report that a new camera lens is on the way. Look at me, accomplishing my one of three New Year's resolutions just three months in.


Catch you in the next post, hopefully through both pairs of new lenses!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete