Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year. New Book. Chapter 1.


T-minus two hours until the New Year rings in and this blog post was all I've been thinking about the past week. I was dreading reviewing this past year because it only meant another year of growing older and the weight of reflecting upon growth, new perspectives, and another daunting year to come ahead. I'm not going to lie, I am straight up terrified for 2015.

Despite not being monumentally life-changing in any way, 2014 will be memorable. There are always bumps in the road, whether it concerned personal battles or just life, but overall I would say it was an eye-opening year full of self-discovery. I took a lot of risks: I pushed the boundaries of my comfort zone, redefined my friendships, understood what confidence truly meant, experienced so many firsts, discovered my limits, and learned where/who my priorities lie. 

It probably sounds like a generic year for most, and in a way, it is - but doesn't that just mean we're growing and building upon our progress every year? Change doesn't have to be inherently blatant to occur. Subtle change will change you more hauntingly than any overblown, fully acknowledged moment of awareness. I think the best and scariest change happens when you no longer identify with the person you were a year, a month, a week, or a day ago. It doesn't have to be a huge shift in beliefs or values; maybe your newfound feeling of excitement to curate your own personal coffee instead of ordering your usual drink at Starbucks is enough to realize you've changed.

2015 will be a year of blaring fluorescent neon lights with all the arrogance of in-your-face newness and a mix of chaotic mess that will scream CHANGE. I will be finished with college in three months (I know, what?!), find a place to call my own, land a career that I won't mind hopping out of bed at 7 AM for (let's be real, will I ever be happy with that sentiment), and hopefully tackle my 20s with as much grace and success as Taylor Swift (#goals).

But really, to be exceptionally idealistic (none of that "new year, new me!"), I just have 5 things I hope to work on:

1. Take blogging seriously. I blog because I genuinely enjoy personal writing and challenging myself with recreating outfits with my limited closet/budget. This includes doing more outfit posts, which means taking more pictures and freely dabbling into my creative persona again.
2. Make a goal and accomplish it every week. My trusty ban.do agenda has been making me feel so much more responsible, organized, and overall productive. I love writing things down, so looking back to see everything I've done throughout the weeks makes me feel like I'm not completely wasting every minute watching YouTube makeup gurus.
3. Treat my body right. I'm planning to live forever but my eating habits and non-existent exercise routine is planning otherwise. I'm not saying I'm not gonna get that Big Mac at 3 AM (because let me tell you, I have and I will), but maybe cut back on the portions and sweat a little bit here and there, yeah? I can feel my metabolism slowing at any moment and it can't keep up with my hungry eyes *sigh*.
4. "Do less with more focus". This quote is hanging up on my wall because, for some reason, it really resonated with me. The multitasker is strong in me (but not when driving, dear lord), and I'm the type to want to tackle anything and everyday. Halfway through, the tank goes empty and I pretty much call it quits. I want to refocus my energy and efforts into projects that I'm truly passionate about so I won't carelessly accept opportunities I can't follow through with.
5. Shop with a purpose. I'm very jealous of my boyfriend's shopping habits and wardrobe. I'm about 500.01% sure he's gotten more compliments than I have ever had. Why? Because he knows how to shop. I, unfortunately, do not. I have this weird mindset of only willing to buy clothes if it's in bulk. If I'm not getting at least 6 sweaters, 3 shirts, and 4 pants for $66.89 then forget it! But in the end, all those items will probably last me a year. My boyfriend on the other hand has awesome staple pieces for reputable and quality brands and I'm always jealous. Well why can't I have $100 jeans from J.Crew or a $50 button-up from Everlane?! Oh yeah, because I'm too cheap. Honestly, it's probably a life lesson to not buy things for quantity's sake and strive for quality. I've already purged my closet in 2014 and it's filled with semi-good quality basics. I'm going to be focusing on playing around with new silhouettes and textures. I forgot where I heard this but when I shop I'm going to have a new mantra: buy only if it's a classic or a statement piece.

Whoa. A longer post than I intended - it's been a whole hour of writing - but I feel a lot better heading into the new year. Nothing like a good 'ol brain dump to make space for another year.

T-minus one hour! How are you spending midnight?

No comments:

Post a Comment