Friday, July 31, 2015

Nuggets of Pseudo-Wisdom After Graduating


A long-overdue post seeing as how back-to-school season is around the corner, and for once in the past 16 years, it is no longer applicable to this newly graduated student! Although I'll miss buying an absurd amount of uniball pens and stocking up on my favorite composition notebooks (thank you Costco), I'm perfectly content with the realization that I will no longer be asked to fill out my student ID time and time again on my blue UCD 2000 scantron (seriously guys... we're in college, you should know to do this by now).

When I finished my first year in college, I opened up my personal tumblr for college-related questions and was taken aback by the response. I even went as far as to provide incoming freshmen with a list of things to pack and recounted the five most important things I learned my freshmen year. Since it was a nice reflection practice (and an excuse for me to sound as though I've grown into a more self-actualized adult), I thought I'd share some things I learned after graduating college. After all, this rite of passage has suddenly entitled me to call myself a real adult, and therefore I know more than you, duh.

Here we go!



Don't let yourself make excuses.

Despite it being my third-to-favorite pass time, I have learned that making excuses will probably get me nowhere and actually piss off everyone around me (myself included). I made a lot of excuses in college. I could've joined this, I could've gone to the gym more and have a smoking hot bod, I could've been on time, but honestly the things I thought were obstructing my capabilities was my innate need to... well... just not follow through. One of my biggest regrets in college was probably not trying as hard as I should've, especially when it came to maintaining and nourishing my friendships and overall being a more passionate student. A part of me also blamed my introvertedness, but in the end, that also counts as an excuse. Not leaving the comfort of my own room was probably 90% of the reason why I missed out on so much, and my excuse was "I'm an introvert. I don't actually like being social, and it'll just tire me." But introvert or not, sometimes it's important to understand at least some sort of interaction can be enjoyable. Which leads me to my second point... (is this a two-part point, therefore making it just one? whatever. I'm an adult, remember? I'm right either way).

Say "yes"

Something I've also learned a little too late. Say "yes" more often than "no". Honestly, this is the one time in your life where you can pretty be around your favorite people and do anything you want with them. So why are you covered in Hot Cheeto crumbs on the couch sobbing at Cristina's departure from Grey's Anatomy for the 3rd time this week?! I have chosen my bed and Netflix over friends so many times, but I'm thrilled to know I have made a decent amount of real, good friends who are willing to nag and drag me out of bed until I actually act as a functioning member of society. Thanks ya'll, for not letting me disintegrate into the cushion of my mattress and ultimately become a well designed but cheap piece of Swedish furniture. You're the real MVP.

Okay, but enough sob stories about what I did wrong. If there's one thing I did right, it's saying yes to professional-related opportunities. I am so glad I pushed myself (albeit, it'll never suffice as enough to me) to apply to things that interested me. Every internship I've had, I've felt beyond bless that I reached out to do that. So that little voice that doubts you or tells you that you can't make enough money doing this or that, politely tell it to shut up. You deserve the chance to explore what makes you happy because the experience will show you whether or not it's something you truly enjoy, or lead you down a different path you didn't know existed. Either way, don't say no when opportunities head your way. Just be smart about it.

Don't be afraid of change.

No one likes change. That's why I always pay in exact amount. Ha-ha, I'm so hilarious. But seriously, we all know change is scary. But that's why you went to college right?! College is the definition of change during your transitioning years because not only are you miles and miles away from home but you are on your own. You are ~independent~ so you should embrace it. Part of embracing it is coming to the conclusion that maybe you're not who you thought you were. I think that is what scares us most - having an idea of how we think, believe, and act and then having it challenged. I think it also scares us because we often see the people closest to us change, sometimes for the worse, and it makes us uncomfortable. But the most threatening thing during your college years is staying stagnant. Don't ever let yourself just be. Always strive to *warning cliche ahead* find yourself. Changing can be extreme; it can severe ties, burn bridges, and engulf you into a new environment you weren't quite ready for. But ultimately, I think change will only shed light on corners of yourself that you never knew existed. So change, dammit!

Don't force things.

This is mostly for the recent grads out there. We all know getting a job in this economy isn't easy (now how adult was that?), but don't force yourself to have it all figured out. Maybe I'm saying this as reassurance for myself as well, but I think it's okay to be lost. I'm learning more and more to go with the flow and trusting myself enough to know that things will work out, as long as I put in the effort. Take whatever time you have now without the heavy burden of a 9-to-5 to do what you've always wanted to. Heck, if you still can't stop thinking about your career, figure out exactly it is that you want to do. Like, exactly. Be precise as possible. I have always forced the idea of working in fashion marketing because 1) it's all I really knew and 2) it's all I really did, but I've given myself the slack to come to terms that there's more to fashion out there that I can be capable of. So know, I'm looking into merchandising and product development because I learned from my experiences that it could be something I enjoy more. I don't think forcing yourself down a career path you're not quite sure of or happy with is ever the right choice, at least not permanently. So don't feel bad, don't compare yourself to others, and don't be too hard on yourself. Yes, we're adults now, but if you haven't caught onto my sarcasm yet, I'm trying to tell you we're not. We just finished college is all.


Me and my bestest bud from college. Thanks for being there through it all with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment